Current:Home > MarketsMaui mayor dismisses criticism of fire response, touts community's solidarity -Capitatum
Maui mayor dismisses criticism of fire response, touts community's solidarity
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:28:18
A month after wildfires destroyed parts of Maui, killing at least 115 people and displacing thousands of others, Mayor Richard Bissen said there is still a long road ahead for residents but was confident their solidarity would move them forward.
Bissen spoke with ABC News about the latest recovery updates for the island and remarked how residents have worked to assist those who were most affected by the wildfires.
"What we’re seeing in our community is overwhelming support," he said. "As devastating as this has been, people are changing their priorities."
MORE: Maui slowly edges toward rebuilding 1 month after the deadly wildfires
As of Friday, the mayor said that roughly 6,000 people are living in 29 hotels and hundreds more are living in short-term housing. The plan is to get more people into those short-term housing.
"[We'll] get them out of hotel rooms, [and] get them into places where they can have a washer and dryer kitchen. So I know that's the plan for the 18-month-period," the mayor said.
Bissen dismissed criticism from some residents who have complained that they are not being assisted as they navigate the situation. The mayor acknowledged that some people will have their frustrations and concerns but he said that he and other officials are listening.
"I want to meet with our folks and hear from them," he said.
Bissen added that he's encouraging residents to talk more with their neighbors and other people in the community and not stick with social media for information.
"We're stronger together. We know what we want. This is our island, our community, and we're going to decide on that and not have other influences tell us how we should or need to be," he said.
MORE: Lahaina's children and their families, uprooted by wildfires, grapple with an unknown future
Hawaii Gov. Josh Green told reporters Friday that the number of people missing since the fire was 66. Green also said that travel restrictions to West Maui would be lifted on Oct. 8, a week earlier than the original plan.
The mayor said that tourism is still an important part of the island's economy and said visitors should still come to Hawaii and explore the parts of Maui that are not off limits.
"I think that we know that people need jobs. We know people need income," he said.
Bissen reiterated that he and other leaders will be there for the residents for as long as it takes and he is proud of the strength they have shown so far.
"I think our entire community is resilient. Our entire community from young to old. I think a lot of that is a reflection of who they're around," he said.
ABC News' Meredith Deliso contributed to this report.
veryGood! (66)
Related
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Who is getting part of Melinda French Gates’ $1 billion initiative to support women and girls
- Hoda Kotb, Jenna Bush Hager can't stop giggling about hot rodent boyfriend trend on 'Today'
- Scripps National Spelling Bee: What to know, how to watch, stream 2024 competition
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Texas’ first-ever statewide flood plan estimates 5 million live or work in flood-prone areas
- AJ McLean Reveals Taylor Swift’s Sweet Encounter With His Daughter
- Supreme Court declines to review conviction of disgraced attorney Michael Avenatti in Nike extortion case
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Federal investigation of former Ohio House speaker ends with no charges filed
Ranking
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- House Democrats expected to vote on $53.1B budget as Republicans complains of overspending
- Texas’ first-ever statewide flood plan estimates 5 million live or work in flood-prone areas
- Jan. 6 officers to campaign for Biden in battleground states
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Stetson Bennett took break for mental health last season, 'excited' to be with LA Rams
- Brittany Cartwright Claps Back at Comments on Well-Being of Her and Jax Taylor's Son Cruz
- The Best Squat-Proof Bike Shorts for Working Out, Wearing Under Dresses & More
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Louisiana police searching for 2 escaped prisoners after 4 slipped through fence
Scripps National Spelling Bee: What to know, how to watch, stream 2024 competition
Train's Pat Monahan on the 'tough' period before success, new song 'Long Yellow Dress'
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Body of newborn infant found at recreation area in northwest Missouri
22 are dead across the US after weekend tornadoes. More storms may be in store
Paris' famous Champs-Elysees turned into a mass picnic blanket for an unusual meal